This article is half-done without your Comment! *** Please share your thoughts via Comment ***
In this post, I am sharing a few major reasons for SQL Server error Error 3201 Cannot open backup device. Operating system error 5 (Access is denied).
Last week, our one of network admins called me about this error. Immediately, I run for office and found that database backup file set to read only.
I solved that error immediately because I knew the possible reasons for the error 3201.
Following are more grounds of error 3201:
- Backup file got corrupted due to disk failure or any other reasons
- Virus attack on backup file
- User permission issue on backup file or location of that backup file
- Someone change the password of service account user
- Backup file in read-only mode
- Network or firewall related issues